My original plan was to only use the Windows XP 64 installed on my laptop for video games (and then only when necessary due to a Wine disfeature) and Linux for everything else. My World Of Warcraft days actually worked quite well for this, as it played very nicely under Wine. However, as interesting things (ala my previous blog post) sometimes crop up while I’m in Windows, and also as I’m now playing games that aren’t so nice under Linux, I’ve ended up being in Windows more than Linux. And now I’ve found myself distracted from games playing by, of all things, MMO UI Addon programming, keeping me in Windows even more.
You’d think with my strong awareness of the commercial nature of grind, I’d prolly be trying to get all the playtime I can out of my monthly subscription to Warhammer Online. Instead, I seem to be burrowing my head down into some UI programming in Lua. Like WoW, WAR (or WHO as a friend of mine calls it) uses LUA to implement its user interface and provides a way of adding modules in to modify, adjust or just plain futz with the interface. The big site for WAR addons (like WoW addons, in fact) is Curse Gaming and they even provide a Sourceforge-like site for addon development called CurseForge.
Anyway, why am I doing this, given I managed to avoid WoW addon programming for my entire playing time? Apart from external reasons I’m not going to post here, WAR being brand new is missing a fair few addons. None I can’t live without, but one it does lack is DrDamage, which enhances your ability tooltips with the actual effective values of the ability once gear and stats are taken into account.
Part of the issue is that WAR’s combat calculations are not fully understood yet. An excellent primer is available at Disquette’s Weblog and Warhammer Alliance has a Mechanic Analysis forum as well. I’ve posted some comments at the former, but the latter requires you to be a “WAR Soldier” before you can post, and I seem to still be a “WAR Recruit”, which means I haven’t contributed enough to the Warhammer Alliance forums. Ah well.
So anyway, my addon. LibCombatCalcs is my first MMO addon, basically supposed to encapsulate the various combat number mechanics of WAR so that I or someone else can write tools like DrDamage (or RatingsBuster) which magically continue working when they change the mechanics, and which don’t need large hard-coded tables of information duplicated across each addon.
It also intends to tie together the seperate sources of combat information into a single coherent stream for other addons to listen to.
Anyway, we’re not there yet. What it does do right now is record hits against monsters, and give you a little window with /lcc mobinfo which shows the calculated toughness of the monster (from an unambigous non critical autoattack) and the calculated values for all the subsequent abilities you used, letting you see if my calculations (and therefore my transcriptions of the community’s understanding) are correct, and/or where things need tweaks. I’ll be using this (and I hope others do too, I don’t want to build a level 40 of each class to do this…) to identify the sources of DPS that contribute to each ability.
Anyway, there it is. I’d love to hear feedback about it, preferably at Curse/CurseForge but here is fine too if you hate those sort of sites. You can clone the git repo from CurseForge, and it currently autopackages every commit I push so you can also grab and install the zips.
By the by, this is my first time using mysgit although I did contribute some work to a different msys git effort, and it combined with Console and an updated Vim with some nice colour schemes (I’m using xterm16 at home and work now) makes me a much happier Windows programmer on my laptop.
On other fronts, I’ve recently been playing with Python-Ogre, hoping to knock out a 3D physics-based tech demo of some kind with it in the middle-term future. (May end up being a Christmas break project…). After my disappointments with 64-bit Python and Pyglet under Windows, I may end up doing it under Linux. Ideally it’s cross-platform of course. I’ve also done some more serious work on my book cataloging software using Elixir, SQLAlchemy and SQLite to turn my collection of text files into a real database. However, there’s not a particularly good way of dealing with schema changes that I can wrap my head around, so I’ve put that on hold while I think about how the data’s going to have to look in the long run. And then I got distracted, so it’s on the Christmas break pile too.